Albany Med is the Capital region’s only academic health sciences center and is one of the largest private employers in the area. Albany Med incorporates the 734-bed Albany Medical Center Hospital, Albany Medical College and the region’s largest physicians practice with more than 450 doctors. Albany Med is also affiliated with Columbia Memorial Health and Saratoga Hospital to provide the largest locally governed health system.
Albany Med has many notable recognitions including:
- The Joint Commission’s “Gold Seal of Approval” for accreditation.
- A “Level 1” accreditation from the Bariatric Surgery Center Network Accreditation Program of the American College of Surgeons.
- Accreditation “with commendation” for cancer services from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer for meeting stringent quality standards.
- Advanced Certification in Heart Failure from the Joint Commission.
- Albany Med epilepsy specialists are among the first in the nation to receive board certification in epilepsy by the
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, signifying exceptional proficiency in the field.
- Albany Med earned a five-year accreditation, the maximum, from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
- Albany Medical Center’s Faculty Physicians received highest accreditation from the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
Some Area “Firsts”:
- The nation’s first FDA-approved 3D digital mammography technology is available at Albany Med’s Breast Care Center.
- First in the region to implant the LVAD, left ventricular assisted device, to treat end-stage heart failure and to receive Joint Commission certification. Albany Med team performed northeastern New York’s first transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR).
- Albany Med surgeons first in the region to use the da Vinci robot to perform prostatectomy, gastric bypass surgery, mitral valve repair and to remove an ovarian cyst from a pregnant woman. In addition, the region’s first single port, robot-assisted cholecystectomy was performed at Albany Med.
- Albany Med neurosurgeons first to offer the “Solitaire” clot-removal device to dramatically improve survival rates for some stroke patients.
- The region’s first Vascular Intensive Care Unit was instituted at Albany Med.